Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Q&A with Transformation #916


Carlos Gieseken is a 36 year-old web content writer for a state agency. He went from 223 pounds to 189 pounds in 12 weeks.

Q: Why did you sign up for the RevEx program?

A: I’ve been struggling with weight for the past 10 years or so. Usually I’ll join a running group or some other exercise program and lose weight for a little while but then it will come right back. I wanted to change my lifestyle and try to find something that is sustainable for the rest of my life. Plus I’d decided I wanted to match my 5k time from high school. In order to do that, I would first have to lose a bunch of weight. I’d looked at the RevEx before and after pictures in Austin Fit Magazine for a long time and finally I decided to join.

Q: Are you happy with the results?

A: The results with the program were amazing. If you stick to the meal plan, and do your homework, you will see results. I had initially set a goal of losing 27 pounds. I exceeded that by 7 pounds. I never in a million years thought I’d reach my goal when the program started, to be honest with you. But I stuck with it and the results followed.

Q: What was the hardest part of the program?

A: The workouts are really, really hard. After a few weeks your body gets used to them and you’re better able to manage the pain, but that first week was really, really hard. I was getting pushed to my limit every time. But it feels really good as the program progresses and you’re able to do exercises and circuits that you couldn’t do at first.

Q: What was the best part?

A: The best part has definitely been the support I’ve gotten from my friends and family. At first, I honestly thought they’d make fun of me for doing something like this. But they’ve been nothing but supportive. I had friends sending me text messages saying, “You’re doing great! Keep up the good work.” My coworkers used to poke fun at the weight I’d gained over the last couple of years. Now they’re impressed with my discipline and with how much weight I’ve lost. It’s a great feeling. 

Not fitting in my clothes anymore is also pretty cool. That’s an amazing feeling. I went from a size 36 pants to size 32. That was another goal I never thought I would hit.

Q: Why did you choose a group workout instead of one-on-one training?

A: I like the group workouts because I get motivated by seeing people around me working hard. I’m amazed at how hard everyone works. It’s a group of really great people. We have fun joking around and bonding through the shared pain.

Q: Was there anything about the experience that surprised you?

A: I was surprised at how I was able to stick to the food plan. I was also amazed at how full I felt even though I was eating close to half the number of calories I normally eat. It turns out protein, vegetables and complex carbs make you feel a lot fuller than junk food does.

No comments:

Post a Comment