Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Trainer Spotlight: Kevan Smith

Kevan Smith is a 27 year-old Austin native who has worked as a trainer for almost seven years. He earned his training certification through the Marine Corps, where he served for four years.

Q: How did you get into training?

A: I always had an interest in it. Then I got lucky and was able to get certified. I always had a passion for it.

Q: What’s your favorite part of your job?

A: Interaction with people. Helping people reach their goals.

Q: How would you describe your training style?

A: I like to really push my clients but at the same time I want them to enjoy what they are doing. I try to push them without pushing and be demanding without being demanding. I try to make group workouts a family environment where everyone can interact and have fun.

Q: What kind of training do you do?

A: I do primarily personal training. I do one-on-one and two-on-one. I run one group training, Monday through Thursday at 5:30 p.m.

Q: How are one-on-one and group training different?

A: One-on-one and two-on-one are a lot more intimate. I can adjust the program specifically just for the individual. While the group I can still do that, it limits it.

Group training you learn to keep an eye on everyone at the same time. You adjust weights and sets according to their individuals.

Q: What motivates you to work out? What do you train for?

A: I enjoy it. It’s a good stress reliever. It’s good way to unwind and mentally shut down. I feel like if I don’t do it, I don’t have the same energy level. So I require it at this point.

Q: Do you ever have days where you don’t feel like working out? If so, what’s your strategy?

A: Absolutely. Some days I’ll push through it. Some days you just have to recognize your body. You need to know your body and know when your body needs extra time to repair. It can’t be just feeling lethargic and lazy. It’s understanding your body. The signs can be similar.

Q: What’s your workout routine during the course of a week?
A: I work out six days a week. I do cardio one to two days a week.

Q: How has your experience in the Marine Corps affected how you train and your life, in general?

A: The Marine Corps influenced me in that it helps me understand how to taper someone to slowly advance them from beginner to advanced level and to understand the concepts. It’s also good for time management so I can prioritize everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment